Whether you're a recent graduate looking to launch your career or you've been out of the workforce for awhile and are looking to jump back in, you're inevitably going to face those dreaded interviews. No matter how fabulous your resume reads, keep in mind that your potential employer is also reading YOU. That means it's imperative to fine tune your wardrobe and personal grooming.
SO...DO YOUR HOMEWORK BY RESEARCHING THE COMPANY DRESS POLICY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE AND THEN DRESS ACCORDINGLY!
If you're looking for a job in a conservative field:
1. Wear professional attire like suiting pieces or a structured dress with a jacket.
2. Select colors that make you feel good but stay away from anything too bold to keep the attention on you and not your clothes.
3. Opt for fabrics that are breathable to avoid sweating.
4. Make sure everything is spotless, pressed and passes the squeeze test. (Squeeze and release - if it's a wrinkled mess, pass on it.) Wait to put a jacket on until you arrive and you are sure to be unrumpled!
5. Keep your makeup and hair simple and elegant. Eye contact is important, so using subtle eye makeup techniques can actually help!
6. Don't forget your hands and choose neutral or pale polish so it isn't distracting.
7. Wear minimal jewelry and avoid anything that makes noise like bangle bracelets.
8. Shoes should be simple and stylish in a heel height you can confidently navigate.
9. Carry a bag that is big enough to carry your essentials and implies "work" not play.
10. Make sure you smell good! Go light on fragrance and use breath mints (not gum!)
Even if you're interviewing for a more casual or creative field, it's still important to dress seriously:
1. A jacket is not required, but stick with short or long sleeves. Avoid sleeveless unless you also plan to wear a sweater or jacket.
2. It never hurts to dress a notch or two above the position you are seeking, so follow tips 2 through 10 as listed above !
When you adhere to these simple interview dressing techniques, you won't have to worry about your appearance and can concentrate instead on selling your credentials. One last helpful hint: Take a quick selfie before going in to check all the little details. Then, TURN OFF YOUR PHONE and TURN ON YOUR CONFIDENCE!
There's nothing quite like a good bargain, and smart shoppers know the next few months are the perfect time to grab spring and summer merchandise at deep discounts!
Now that you know what to look for, what are you waiting for? Happy summer sale shopping, fashionistas!
V & T
Vicki & Tracy
We're professional actresses and models showing you how to "dress the part" for all the roles in your life!